Tuesday, September 22, 2026

🌐 Chasing the Tech Inside: The DNS System Quietly Powering Your Internet

 

What’s DNS and Why Does It Matter?

I spend a lot of time reading about technology because I'm always trying to understand a little more about what's happening behind the screen.

One website I regularly read is PC Tips, and I recently came across a good article about DNS servers written by Deep Shrestha. It got me thinking: DNS is something we use every single day, but a lot of people probably don't know what it actually does.

So let's talk about it.

What Exactly Is DNS?

DNS stands for Domain Name System.

I like to think of DNS as the internet's contact list.

You know the name of the website you want, but computers communicate using IP addresses. DNS handles the lookup and connects the website name you typed with the IP address your device needs.

Think about your phone.

You probably don't remember everybody's phone number. You remember their name, tap their contact, and your phone knows the number.

DNS does something similar for the internet.

Why Does DNS Matter?

Without DNS, we'd have to remember IP addresses instead of simple website names.

Imagine trying to remember a bunch of numbers every time you wanted to check the news, shop online, watch a video or search for something.

No thanks. 😂

DNS quietly handles those lookups behind the scenes, usually so fast that we don't even think about it.

But something else I took away from Deep's article is that which DNS server you use can matter too.

Your internet provider usually supplies a DNS service automatically, but public DNS services are another option. Depending on the provider and your location, they may offer differences in lookup performance, privacy and security.

That's where services such as Cloudflare, Quad9 and Google Public DNS enter the conversation.

And here's something I've learned from working around technology:

Some of the most important systems are the ones you barely notice until they stop working.

When DNS has problems, a website or service might appear to be down even though the server itself is working perfectly fine.

Your computer simply can't figure out where to go.

That's why when I'm troubleshooting connectivity, DNS is one of those pieces I don't overlook.

So the next time you type a website name and it pops right up, remember there's a whole conversation happening behind the scenes.

You typed the name.

DNS found the address.

The network got you there.

Simple on the surface. Serious technology underneath.

That's why I stay curious about how all this stuff works.

I'm just #ChasingTheTechInside.

— #EnthusiasticTechie

Worth a read: Deep Shrestha's PC Tips article, The Best DNS Servers for Faster, More Secure Internet:
https://tinyurl.com/mry5mbsr

No comments:

Post a Comment

🌐 Chasing the Tech Inside: The DNS System Quietly Powering Your Internet

  What’s DNS and Why Does It Matter? I spend a lot of time reading about technology because I'm always trying to understand a little mor...